Former FC Barcelona player Dani Alves has given three different versions of the events that occurred in a nightclub on December 30 last year, when he was accused of having raped a 23-year-old woman.
The 39-year-old Brazil international is currently in custody in Catalonia while police continue their investigations.
He was jailed on Friday after the investigating judge in the case gave a statement and was presented with the evidence gathered so far by the Foral Police of the Mossos d’Esquadra.
The images of the interior of the nightclub contradict the version of events offered by Alves. The player sent a video to a television program on the Spanish network Antena 3 several weeks ago, in which he told his apparent version of the story.
In the message he admitted to having been at the Sutton nightclub in Barcelona on the night of December 30. “I’m sorry, but I don’t know who this woman is,” she said about her alleged victim. ‘I don’t know her name, I don’t know her, I haven’t seen her in my life.’
According to his version, he opened the bathroom door in the VIP area of the nightclub to accidentally find the victim inside.
However, sources told the newspaper El Periódico that security camera footage shows that he was inside the bathroom for around 15 minutes, which contradicts his original statement.
This led Alves to change his version when questioned by the investigating judge, the prosecutor and the private prosecution. Instead, he claimed that what happened between the two in the bathroom was consensual.
But neither the recordings nor the witness statements have so far compiled the various versions of Alves’ story.
Meanwhile, the victim has renounced any financial compensation for the incident and has said that he only wants justice to be done and for Alves to be jailed.
According to her version of events, a waiter invited her and two friends to sit at Alves’ table at the Sutton nightclub. She claims that he insisted that she follow him into the bathroom, where he alleges that he assaulted and raped her.