By Anthony Piovesan and Walter Finch
A mysterious Cuban named Michael has been arrested along with a man who murdered and beheaded a Colombian expatriate and dumped her in the sea off Marbella.
The builder worked with Leonel Herrera, 45, who admitted to killing his ex-girlfriend Natalia Mosquera, 46, on January 8 before cutting off her head and hands.
He olive press may reveal that both of them worked together in the construction and maintenance of hotels in the Marbella area.
In addition to working for a group of apartments in Cabopino, they also did work at Costa Marbella Star Light.
A hotel worker said Michael had “not been working” there since the beginning of the year.
“Michael did some construction work for us, but he hasn’t worked in a month or two,” he said.
An employee of the Marbella Casco Antiguo Princesa hostel confirmed that he previously worked at Cabopino.
Another source, who knew the couple, said Michael had been arrested and was “still in police custody”.
He added that supposedly the Cuban had taken Leonel to “pick up Natalia” and took them to the beach where she had been murdered. There is no suggestion that he was involved.
The woman, who asked not to be named, told Olive Press she believes her stomach was also cut open to remove a belly tattoo.
She claimed that Leonel, a father of two, was trying to avoid being identified, but forgot that his sister lived nearby and had already reported her missing to the police.
When the body appeared floating in the Club 200 Restaurant on Marbesa beach, she immediately confirmed that it was her sister through a WhatsApp video.
National Police confirmed to the olive press the friend, ‘of Cuban descent’, was arrested after admitting that he had picked up Natalia in a van.
“She was still alive inside the van, so we believe he is the last person other than Natalia’s ex-boyfriend to see her alive,” a spokesperson said.
Natalia’s severed hands were found on the beach near Cabopino last Tuesday. She’s still missing her head.
Herrera confessed to the gruesome murder when agents of the National Police took him to the beach and graphically recounted how he disposed of his body.
The Special Group for Underwater Activities (GEAS) of the Civil Guard has been searching for the severed head for several days along several kilometers of the Marbella coastline.
According to sources close to the investigation, the search is continuing but has been hampered by difficult conditions caused by stormy weather.
The divers are focusing their efforts closer to shore, however, so far without success.
The Marbella Town Hall will bear the cost of Natalia’s funeral and the family’s wish is that Natalia be buried in Marbella, the city where she lived.
The investigation is in charge of a judge specializing in Violence against Women in Marbella.